Thursday, April 30, 2009

Looking for Good in Garbage



As I drive around, running errands, dropping the kids places, whatever, my eyes scan the sides of the road on Garbage Day to see what my neighbors are throwing out that I can somehow reuse.

It doesn't happen every week, but once in a while, jackpot. A discarded item sits beside the road, my eyes catch a glimpse, my mind races on what re-use can be made of it. Quickly my foot is instructed to move from accelerator to brake, then by backing up the car or pulling a quick u turn. I pull beside the discard pile and yes, I can use that thing, so pop the trunk, load it up and away I go.

The re-use of the item is some time very obvious, like the perfectly good hammock that now swings between two trees in my backyard and provides peaceful moments of swing. Other times, a long length of black perforated flexible drainage pipe or some pressure treated lumber from an old swing set wind up back home.

They may sit for many months until some re-usable reason presents itself and the items are put to re-use once again to serve humanity or atleast me for awhile longer. In this case the drainage pipe went to diffuse water from my gutters to prevent erosion and the lumber went to building a trellis for my garden.

The circle remains unbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment