Thursday, April 30, 2009

Give It Away, Dont Throw It Away




There are things that I come across in my homestead weekly that have not been touched, moved, used for quite some time. Every time I look at them a debate ensues, can I use it or should I chuck it. Well, I found another option, give it away.

Lightly used or even heavily used items that I have no use for anymore now gets listed on my local Freecycle board in NJ and invariably everything posted seems to find a home. It works like this, follow the link www.freecycle.org and find a local posting site for your area, follow the directions and post your cast offs, request or search or hunt for items for yourself. You will also see Curb Alerts in your area, posts of large piles of stuff placed at the curb for Garbage Pickup that can still be useful and can find a home.

Recently my wife and I cleared out the basement and attic and gave away a large number of items. The benefits to doing this are many fold, the first and foremost is we are not creating more garbage, we are allowing others to re-use our things. Second, you can help those who might be less fortunate and can really use the goods. Third, you meet some interesting folks, some kind of cool, some kind of scary. Last, you might find some cool things you really need from your area neighbors.

Just the kind of thing we need more of these days, communities coming to the aid of others and helping the environment.

Try it out and tell me what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment